Join The Wild World Mama Team
Listing Date: July 25, 2022
Position: Junior Graphic Designer/Virtual Assistant
Location: Fully Remote/Work from Home
Type: Freelance Contract Position
Compensation: $22/hour for 20 hours a month
Who we are:
Wild World Mama is an online design business that serves birth businesses and organizations. Currently, we are a small independent team that includes a designer, copywriter, website developer, and tech VA.
From behind the scenes, Wild World Mama supports those making positive movements in the birth world. Serving those helping address the maternity crisis in the USA in big and small ways. Community birth workers & activists are the ones who are already shifting the tides in the birth world. Wild World Mama can give them strategic design support, tools, and a foundation to help turn that wave into a tsunami. Wild World Mama believes midwifery, doula care, and compassionate prenatal and postpartum support to be the standard of care for all birthing people.
We are looking for another graphic designer/Virtual Assistant (VA) to support our short and long-term goals. Maybe that’s YOU!
The goal is to have the good birth workers driving change be able to have more of an impact by leveling up their professional presentation to the world. This will help more community-based birth workers and grassroots organizations to be able to compete with the current high-budget hospital brands and ultimately reach more everyday families. Saving lives, reducing trauma, and so much more!
Wild World Mama’s clients include, but are not limited to, community-based midwives, doulas, lactation consultants, birth advocates/activists/
- Creating custom graphics for use online and print (mainly online). Overall idea concept, art direction, & specs will be provided.
- Creating final artwork files (eps, png, jpg, etc.) for branding/logo projects and saving them in an organized way via Dropbox or Google Drive
- Upload final art files to online printers, Pinterest, Etsy, Online Shop
- Take existing artwork (adjusting as needed) to apply it to various things like bags, mugs, t-shirts, etc., and upload to online printers.
- Save and optimize website images from Adobe XD so they can be forwarded to the developer. *I can show you how to do this if you don’t know XD.
- Contacting & coordinating with printers for internal & client projects. Providing and adjusting artwork to accurately fit printer specs. For high-quality prints, ex: banners, signage.
- Image research for stock photos.
- Creation, adjustment, or refinement of client designs
- Adjusting and finalizing Canva Templates
- Creating web-optimized images & uploading them to WordPress websites. I can show you how to do this if you are unfamiliar with WordPress.
- Assist me with small admin tasks on occasion.
Qualifications for the Position:
- Looking for someone with at least 1-5 years of experience as a professional graphic designer.
- A degree in Visual Communication (Design) is helpful but not required depending on experience and portfolio.
- A good sense of visual hierarchy & balance
- Has an excellent eye for detail
- Critical and conceptual design thinking
- Understanding of general typography & color theory
- Ability to create clean/accurate print files & final vector file deliverables
- Ability to clearly communicate & coordinate with printers or upload final artwork occasionally
- At least some understanding of website graphics and how they differ from print graphics. *You do NOT need to know how to code or build websites, though understanding or experience in the website design space is a plus!
- Someone who strives for excellence in the work you do.
- Organized and has good communication skills.
- Must be self-driven, reliable, motivated, resourceful, honest, and have a willingness to learn and take critique from client feedback.
- Has the ability to provide quick turnaround for smaller design projects (example: time-sensitive social media graphics).
- Must have your own software and know Adobe Creative Suite 2022 (Illustrator, Photoshop, XD, Canva)
- Basic understanding of Canva (for creation and editing of client templates)
- Link to your website/portfolio so I can see your previous work & general aesthetic is required.
- Familiar and/or willing to use Asana for project communication.
Wild World Mama is a business that serves the birth world & advocacy/activist space. The person who is a good fit for this role MUST be comfortable with birth topics and imagery, as well as topics surrounding reproductive healthcare, full-spectrum care, racial justice, birth justice, birth politics, and LGBTQIA+ inclusivity.
If interested, please email email@example.com with your website/portfolio, weekly availability, and a few things about yourself. Let me know what’s your favorite typeface and why you’d think you’d be a good fit for this role.
Looking forward to hearing from you!